On Jul 6, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Nicolas Williams wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 02:49:07PM -0700, James Gregurich wrote:
>> 1) Why on earth would you want to scroll all the way to the bottom of
>> a long email to get the response simply for the sake of "We read
>> English top to bottom."
>
> Any quoted context must be read before the reply or else is not
> necessary and should not have been quoted.  Thus top posting (as
> the practice is known) is obnoxious because it causes the reader to
> read the reply, read the quoted text, and then re-read the reply to
> understand it in its proper context, and if the quoted text was not
> necessary in order to understand your reply (as in this particular
> case), then it just wastes bandwidth and storage.
>
>> 2) This is going to be a challenge for me because I'm not writing a
>> fixed DB with a known schema.  I'm writing a higher-level data store
>> wrapper using SQLITE as the backing. The schema is configured at
>> runtime.
>
> I agree.  ISTM that SQLite3 ought to call either call DELETE triggers
> for all rows deleted by INSERT OR REPLACE, or UPDATE triggers for the
> row that had the same PRIMARY KEY and DELETE triggers for any other
> deleted rows.
>
> (To me INSERT OR REPLACE can equally be seen as deleting all
> conflicting
> rows, then inserting a replacement row, or else as updating the row
> that
> conflicts with the new row's PRIMARY KEY and deleting rows that
> conflict
> on other unique indexes.  If the INSERT OR REPLACE has many input rows
> then this gets murkier in that which rows are updated or deleted may
> become non-deterministic, I think, so deleting all affected rows seems
> like the better solution.)
>
>> 3)  I found the following comment on the mysql dev site (relevant
>> since "replace into" is inspired by mysql). They apparently fire the
>> triggers as expected. It seems to me that your comments
>> overcomplicate
>> the requirements. If you are going to delete a row, call the delete
>> triggers....that is all that is needed as best I can tell. However, I
>> do admit that I am not well educated on SQL db engines. I'm figuring
>> all this out as I go along. Feel free to tell me how absurdly wrong I
>> am.
>
> INSERT OR REPLACE is not a feature of the standard, so anything
> goes...
>
> Nico
> --

How's this...

you have a pretty low threshold for "obnoxious." Frankly, I lack the
desire and energy needed to keep up with the list of rules people make
up. read the email or don't. it doesn't matter to me. I don't make
rules designed to get other people to adhere to my personal
preferences....and it annoys me when I get lectured by others who
expect me to follow some unwritten code of conduct just to suit their
personal tastes. The adjective I'd use to counter "obnoxious" is
"uptight."