The library created by MinGW's dlltool will be a static archive in ar(1)
format. The contained object files might be compatible between ld(1) and
Microsoft's linker - I honestly don't know, since I use Qt on the gcc
(*nix) and MinGW (Windows) toolchains and have limited experience with
recent Microsoft C++ compilers. If they're compatible, then all the
better, but I suspect compatibility will be one way only, i.e. with
MinGW's linker accepting objects produced by the Microsoft toolchain and
not the other way around.

HTH.

Mihai Limbasan