On 26/08/2009 5:47 AM, Matt Stiles wrote:
> Am I losing my mind, or is there something wrong with the bin.gz file on the
> download page? I've downloaded it several times, but I can't get it to open
> completely using Stuffit or the Mac archive utility. It appears to open, but
> it just spits out another compressed file, over and over -- like a cruel
> Matryoshka doll on my desktop.
>
> The file in question: http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite3-3.6.17-osx-x86.bin.gz

I can open this on Windows XP with the "7-Zip" 3rd-party utility. As
expected of a foo.bin.gz file, it decompresses to a foo.bin file. 7zip
can even open that; it says there are a bunch of __TEXT__ things, some
__DATA__ things, and 2 __IMPORT__ things ... looks superficially not
unlike an executable to me.

Doesn't the Mac OS have a "gunzip" program? I have one from the mingw32
project or similar collection of Windows ports of *x programs:

C:\installers>gunzip -l sqlite3-3.6.17-osx-x86.bin.gz
compressed  uncompr. ratio uncompressed_name
    258707    510012  49.2% sqlite3-3.6.17-osx-x86.bin

C:\installers>gunzip -tv sqlite3-3.6.17-osx-x86.bin.gz
sqlite3-3.6.17-osx-x86.bin.gz:   OK

C:\installers>gunzip -V
gunzip 1.2.4 (18 Aug 93)
Compilation options:
DIRENT SYS_UTIME STDC_HEADERS HAVE_UNISTD_H NO_CHOWN PROTO ASMV

So that's two independent witnesses to the file on the website being an
OK gzip file, and one that the inner file appears to be an uncompressed
executable.  How did you obtain it -- http or ftp? Have you checked the
compressed file size (I have 258707 (see above))?

What version of OS X are you running?