On 3 Sep 2009, at 1:38am, P Kishor wrote:

> well, I think the problem is with the sqlite3 command line tool.

I agree.  I just checked it with OS X 10.6, which comes with SQLite
version 3.6.12, and got the same problem: you can't type accented
characters into the sqlite3 tool.  So I guess the sqlite3 tool uses a
version of readline (or whatever) which doesn't do this properly.
However, the SQLite database system does handle unicode characters
just fine.

> I can
> type accented characters in the Terminal.app using bash and no fancy
> setting just fine.

Yes, OS X 10.6 seems to have a version of bash which reads the
accented characters fine without any changes to the environment.

Simon.