On Sep 21, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Fred Williams wrote:

> Fine for me.  It seems to be everybody else that wants their favorite
> feature imbedded in the core :-)
>
> Fine grained locking would be a great "asset" I feel.  Notice I did
> not
> request a "feature."

On my to-do list is to write a paper that explains why fine-grain
locking is not practical without either (1) a dedicated server process
to manage the locks or (2) enhancements to OS locking primitives that
are not currently available on any OS that I am aware of.  There is a
widely held belief that since OSes provide byte-level locking of files
it should be a simple matter to provide row-level locking in a
serverless database engine.  The proposed paper will explain why that
belief is incorrect.

D. Richard Hipp
d...@hwaci.com