I did realize a couple of points that might be helpful to others:

1.  When you run "find and replace," it won't always pick up all the
apostrophes (or single close-quotes).  Apparently, different programs
encode this symbol differently.  I've encountered this problem before
when using more than one program to prepare word-processed documents.
There is no easy solution to it that I know of. At times, in formal
documents, I have been reduced to careful proofing to make sure all
the apostrophes are in the same typeface.

2.  In the particular app I am building, search results are displayed
in html. Replacing apostrophes with ’ ( see
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/web/codehtml.html#punc
   ) solves the problem. Although with this particular database, I
must find and replace all the apostrophes (I'm far enough along with
this database that find-and-replace will be faster than starting
over), in the next one I will replace apostrophes with ’ while
editing in html to finesse the problem.

Jimmy Verner
www.vernerlegal.com