On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Mark <godef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've currently got a loaner high-performance flash-based "SSD" (let's
> just say it doesn't connect to any disk controllers) that I'm testing
> for performance. I've run my application against it, and I believe that
> I should see numbers MUCH higher than I do. When I run my test app on a
> normal SATA 7200 RPM disk, I get a certain performance, and on the "SSD"
> I get about 1/10th that speed. On an array of SAS disks I get numbers
> that are about 5x faster than my SATA disk, so my software itself isn't
> (I believe) the bottleneck.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for "optimizing" for this sort of
> storage solution.
>
> Also, if anyone has any quick-and-dirty test setups they'd like me to
> run through on this rig, just let me know :)

SSDs get their speed by striping together multiple slower NAND
controllers.  If you're getting 1/10th the speed, it seems plausible
that you are only accessing a single stripe at once.  Optimize your
app to spread access across multiple stripes.  Using a larger page
size and/or performing concurrent reads might help.

And of course, make sure you're using transactions to group operations.

--
Cory Nelson
http://int64.org