On 22 Sep 2009, at 5:06pm, Barton Torbert wrote:

> I am having problems with the update command (through the interface
> library).

Which interface library ?  The sqlite3_ C calls ?  Or a library or API
for some other language ?

> In most databases if you issue an update to a record that does not
> exist, it simply adds a new record.  When I try this in SQLite I get
> an error back.
>
> Is the SQLite update restricted to a record you know already exists?

Not sure what you mean.  In SQL the UPDATE command has an optional
WHERE clause that specifies which /records/ to update.  You don't
update a specific record, your command may make changes to zero, one
or more records depending on how many records satisfy the clause.
Updating zero records is not an error, it's simply a command that has
no noticeable effect.

What sort of command are you trying, and what error results from it ?

Simon.