Jan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Although I read in a recent post by drh that it is not recommended to
> use sqlite in a local network I would like to ask if the following
> approach would work:
>
> A database in the local network needs to be accessed by about 20 people.
> I suppose the max. number at the same time will be 4-5. Only one is able
> to write to the database at the same time. The one who wants to write to
> the database acquires an exclusive look with "PRAGMA
> locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE" if locking_mode is currently NORMAL. AFAIR all
> others should then still be able to read, but not to write.
>
> Is that correct and more or less save? Does anyone have experience with
> sqlite on a networkdrive?

In my experience, adding multi-user capability to an application
increases the complexity by at least an order of magnitude.  If you have
20 people who need access there are two options (IMO):

1.  Web based application.  In this case the database itself has one and
only one consumer, the web server.  If you can keep the access to a
single thread, you have multi-user with no greater complexity than
single user -- albeit the user will have to stare at a web browser if
some long running process interferes.
2.  Client/Server.  Again, the database has only one consumer, the local
server, which manages all the complex details.  MySQL, Firebird, and
PostgreSQL are open source/free/low cost examples of this type of
system, however, the tricks that will work for a local database (lists
and grids are a big offender here) will NOT work effectively in a C/S
environment.

John