Thanks!  I ran the example code and it seems like every UPDATE fails
with errors like the following:

SqlStep Timeout on handle: 8 (rc = 6)
SqlStep tries on handle 8: 200
BeginTrans Timeout/Error on handle:  8, Errorcode = 6
Write Thread: DB is busy! tries = 142 handle = 8

Looking at the database contents it looks like none of the updates
were successful at all (though I didn't look extremely carefully).

Are these errors normal?