Darren Duncan wrote:

>   Or at least it is in the version of the relational model
> that allows non-scalar attribute values, but that is the one that Chris
> Date et
> al, as well as myself ascribe to.

I didn't read this through but I recall Chris Date defining a relational
database as formed from relations normalised to 1NF. First Normal Form
basically means no substructure ie each column is a single value from a
scalar domain. To say it would be nice to have structured data is ignoring
two things: i) we've got this for just fine without it, and ii) SQL is a
first-order language so it can't easily handle substructure.