Jay,
That's a reasonable perspective, and indeed I have asked Adobe for the
feature. But another not unreasonable position is this: to prevent
fragmentation, enhancements that have general applicability are made to
the core rather than to individual implementations.  The more
implementations diverge from the core, the less portable the database
becomes.

The raw functions I requested would be useful features for the database
to have. Once you have a raw LIKE operator, one that tests codepoint by
codepoint, it doesn't matter so much what direction the SQLite
architects might take in the future in terms of how they decide to
handle normalisation of Unicode composed characters (.e.g  is a +
combining diaresis LIKE a-umlaut?).   One can always rely upon the raw
string function; not so with functions that incorporate higher-order
Unicode awareness.

Tim Romano