"D. Richard Hipp" <d...@hwaci.com> writes:
> On Dec 4, 2009, at 9:45 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>>
>> Has it ever been discussed (or for good reason never been considered)
>> to extent the SAVEPOINT command with respect to its behavior if there
>> is no enclosing transaction?
>>

> http://www.sqlite.org/lang_savepoint.html
>
> "When a SAVEPOINT is the outer-most savepoint and it is not within a
> BEGIN...COMMIT then the behavior is the same as BEGIN DEFERRED
> TRANSACTION."

My suggestion is to make this more flexible, like this:

"
 SAVEPOINT <name> [DEFERRED|IMMEDIATE|EXCLUSIVE]

 When a SAVEPOINT is the outer-most savepoint and it is not within a
 BEGIN...COMMIT and neither IMMEDIATE nor EXCLUSIVE is specified, then
 the behavior is the same as BEGIN DEFERRED TRANSACTION. Otherwise the
 behavior is the same as BEGIN IMMEDIATE TRANSACTION (if IMMEDIATE has
 been specified) or BEGIN EXCLUSIVE TRANSACTION (if EXCLUSIVE has been
 specified).
"

Best,

   -Nikolaus