Apparently document writer assumed that it's pretty obvious how CASE
works because it works the same way in all DBMSes. :)
You can read any documentation Google gives, e.g. this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181765.aspx.

In brief, when you give optional expression then CASE works like
'switch ... case ... case ... default' construction in C, when
optional expression is not given it works like series of 'if ... else
if ... else' constructions in C.

Pavel