Hi,

you put me on the right direction and I solved. Thank you veru much !!!

Hoping to help other sqlite users with the same problem, I give here a list of
what I did to solve.

=> I checked if readline was installed and answer was not
=> downloaded readline.tar.gz (vers 6) and installed
=> re-run configure and still problems complaining it was not able to find
    tgetnum, tgoto togetflags and so on
=> downloaded ncurses.tar.gz (vers 5.7) and installed
=> re-run configure and no complaint,
=> make and make install and now history works quite fine

Happy new year to everybody
Angelo