Yes, they are perfectly valid. The only thing that can bite you is if
you are in process of fetching rows from some select statement and you
update row that was just fetched or update/insert rows that would have
been fetched later by the select statement. This is generally a bad
thing to do and behavior of SQLite in such case is undefined.

Pavel