On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2010, at 9:28pm, Roger Binns wrote:
>
> > Simon Slavin wrote:
> >> It uses one when it outputs, but it won't accept the same format when it
> inputs.  So the program is itself inconsistent: however you define 'csv
> format', either its output or input function is broken.
> >
> > There is a ticket covering this:
> >
> >  http://www.sqlite.org/src/tktview?name=c25aab7e7e
>
> Ahha.  And that points to
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/tktview?tn=3276
>
> which explains and fixes the problem in one way.  Okay.
>
> Simon.

In the past, the shell tool (CLI) was never "officially" supported.   There
were no testscripts to verify correct operation, or guarantees of included
features or compatibility from one version to the next, unlike with the
"core" SQLite library.

We've taken steps to more formally support this, as is indicated by the
addition of some test scripts for it here:
http://www.sqlite.org/src/dir?name=tool   However, there are still many
features of the CLI that we've yet to write tests for, including tests for
CSV support.

Work has begun to "revamp" the CSV support entirely, by implementing it with
a virtual table interface.   You can see the beginnings of it here in this
branch:  http://www.sqlite.org/src/timeline?t=csv_ext   There are a couple
more third party CSV extensions for SQLite that are much more advanced, and
it's unlikely that this implementation will ever reach that level of
sophistication or support much more than the current import/export needs of
the CLI.

HTH.
-Shane