> It's pretty strange how you try to join with some table not even
> mentioning any column of that table in the joining condition. I bet
> behavior is not defined for such cases in SQL standard and you're
> getting some interpretation of such query.

I'm not aware of any requirement that a JOIN condition refer to the
table on the right side of the join. Anyway, you can see this effect
even if you do mention the table.

Also, here is a modified version of my example where the JOIN condition
still does not mention the joined table. This one works.

SELECT c.cur, c2.flag
FROM currency c
LEFT JOIN (SELECT 1 flag) c2
  ON c.cur='USD';

result:

USD|1

So far, to see this effect, I have to use both CROSS JOIN and LEFT JOIN.