A practical situation? Lexicographical applications and full-text
applications against text corpora require indexed substring searches,
including ends-with searches. (The FTS extension is not always a good fit.)
 I am glad that only the LIKE operator has been overridden in Adobe's
version and in the version that ships with the System.Data.SQLite (.NET)
adapter;  I'd be up the creek if both LIKE and GLOB had been overridden. I
like your renaming suggestion but unfortunately that's not an option if the
implementors want to make their implementation widely available and support
standard syntax. Hence, Adobe and Google et al don't have a LIKEU().

Tim Romano