If I run the statement:

delete from keyword where rowid in (SELECT idToDelete FROM
keywordDeleteList);

This statement takes an eternity even if there are only say 5 records in
keywordDeleteList.

Same thing if I do this:

delete from keyword where rowid in (418458, 418541, 421168, 421326, 421367,
422676);

However, this is very fast:
delete from keyword where rowid = 418458 or rowid = 418541 <for each of the
row ids>

The problem is I can't use a previously calculated table as a delete list.
I'd have to select each one, generate separate delete statement for each
record in the fts3 table.

I can't imagine why this is so slow. Any elegant work arounds?