Jay A.  Kreibich wrote:

> What OS/filesystem are you using?
>
> SQL inserts should be near-constant, assuming the table does not
> have an INTEGER PRIMARY KEY with explicit values.  The table's root
> B-Tree needs to re-balance every now and then, but if the inserts are
> in-order (which they will be with an automatic ROWID) this should be
> rare and cheap-- should should get more rare as the number of rows
> increases.
>
> Many *filesystems* do not provide linear access times, however,
> especially with larger files.

Interesting.  But behavior is better (logarithmic) with indices
defined.

Right now I'm in 64-bit linux 2.6.18, rhel 5.4.  The fs is ext3.  Not
sure if this particular box has a raid5 array like the other box did.
But again, I think it's a moot point: even when I'm completely in the
page cache behavior is linear, and it improves with indices.  This
suggests a software algo issue.

(Just got your corrections, I knew what you meant.:-)

Eric

--
Eric A. Smith

This non-pronunciation of initial _h_ is especially common among
French and British people, who can't pronounce English very well.
    -- Tim Pulju