On 8 Jul 2010, at 9:30am, Max Vlasov wrote:

>> Actually the SSD possibility makes it worse, not better.
>>

> Simon, you gave an interesting explanation, but does this rule work in
> general? I mean there are many models, many sizes and so on.

Don't know.  You could test it.  Write a program that creates a file half the
size of the drive, then writes to random parts of it timing each command.  If
all the write commands take about the same amount of time then it doesn't work
the way I described.  I just repeated the description I had read of the way SSD
drives work.

>  For example
> SanDisk SSD used in my Asus T91MT claims it has some internal writing cache,
> so this controller can have its own logic working independently of the
> software installed.

That 'internal writing cache' is the logic I was describing.

> Also, allowing several chips writing at the same time
> might have conflict  with any OS'  own caching mechanism.

The OS would not know about this problem at all.  The OS doesn't know any thing
about the internal organisation of the drive: its problem ends when the drive
says "I have accepted this write command from you.".  After that it's the
drive's responsibility to make sure that the data gets written.

Simon.