From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org on behalf of Werner Smit
Sent: Wed 7/14/2010 6:33 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: EXTERNAL:Re: [sqlite] Sqlite Insert Speed Optimization

-----Original Message-----
From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of Paul Corke
Sent: 14 July 2010 01:03 PM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Sqlite Insert Speed Optimization

On 14 July 2010 11:56, Werner Smit wrote:

> 3. I'm saving to a network drive.

Is this a one-off data import into a new clean sqlite db?  If so have
you considered writing to a db file on a local drive and then copying
the whole file to the network drive afterwards?

Paul.

I have considered that!
I do allow the users to do a clean build or an update.
Clean build is usually once a week - I could build that on local drive
BUT the problem is if the copy fail and leave them with incomplete file
I'm in trouble.
To manage this and make sure all is well is not an easy task.

I did check and the sqlite speed on local drive seem to be much faster.
Would it be possible to tell sqlite to save journal file to local drive
and merge with server file
on transaction completion?

Another option - with much more work would be to create a db on local
drive,
fill it with X records and start a seperate thread to merge this with
network drive while my program is busy fetching the next X record batch.

But if at all possible I'd like to not make too many changes to the
current program.
I like the kiss scenario. "keep it short and simple"

DISCLAIMER:
Everything in this email and its attachments relating to the official business
of Face Technologies is proprietary to Face Technologies. It is confidential,
legally privileged and protected by law. The person addressed in the email is
the sole authorised recipient. Any unauthorized dissemination or copying of
this e-mail (or any attachment to this e-mail) or the wrongful disclosure of
the information herein contained is prohibited.