On 14 July 2010 17:00, Werner Smit wrote:

> It DOES sound terrible since 90%? of the time is spend in retrieving
> data from a remote oracle server over a slow line.

I think you're trying to optimise the wrong thing :)

Assuming you can't upgrade that slow line, how about running a
compressed ssh tunnel between the oracle server and the client,
port-forwarding 1521/tcp over it and changing your tnsnames to
point at the client machine?

Paul.

Wow! That sound fascinating!
But since my client is in the banking environment they have strict
procedures about network control.
I will research this option, but target date for implementation would
possible be middle 2020.

I'd however like to test this with a local server - is there a faq
somewhere about compressed ssh tunneling on oracle ports?
Is it open source?
Have you done it yourself?
What was speed improvement?

Werner

DISCLAIMER:
Everything in this email and its attachments relating to the official business
of Face Technologies is proprietary to Face Technologies. It is confidential,
legally privileged and protected by law. The person addressed in the email is
the sole authorised recipient. Any unauthorized dissemination or copying of
this e-mail (or any attachment to this e-mail) or the wrongful disclosure of
the information herein contained is prohibited.