On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:15:40 -0400, Tim Romano
<tim.romano...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ah, an opportunity for another purist tirade presents itself.
>
>I don't have a hack for SQLite but something I consider to be a much better
>practice that accomplishes the same goal. If your business rules would
>declare that rows with value X in column Y no longer belong to the set, the
>most straightforward way to implement such a rule is to move those rows to
>another table where they do belong. Use an after update/insert trigger to do
>this.

[...]

>The partial index is one very messy thing, fraught with ambiguities,
>something to avoid.  I can imagine other business rules being really
>bollixed up by the sudden reappearance of zombie rows.

+1

My 2 cents:
Pure SQL doesn't mind about indexes, in RDBMS
implementations they are just an optimization feature and a
way to implement unique constraints. Anything more is a can
of worms indeed.

Optional indexes are a codasyl hierarchical or network
database feature, where indexes are exposed to the DML.
--
  (  Kees Nuyt
  )