On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Jay A. Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 11:41:00AM -0700, Taras Glek scratched on the wall:
>> Currently VACUUM takes care of sqlite-level fragmentation. Unfortunately
>> it does little for fs-level fragmentation since the same file is being
>> reused. It would be really beneficial for Mozilla performance if we
>> could get a vacuum/hotcopy mode.
<snip>
>  On a personal level, I don't think it is worth it.  In the end, you're
>  still hoping the OS and filesystem will make smart choices about block
>  allocations.  An application shouldn't need to be spending a lot
>  of time worrying about this level of filesystem performance.  No
>  matter what, you're just hinting and setting up conditions that
>  should allow the filesystem driver to do something smart and fast.
>  It may, or it may not, actually do so.

I agree with Jay - while it is tempting to have SQLite bite off
optimizing this kind of thing, it's pretty far out of scope.  Next
we'll be talking about running SQLite on raw partitions!  The recent
addition of SQLITE_FCNTL_CHUNK_SIZE is probably about all the hinting
you can productively manage.

[In the end, VACUUM itself is kind of a hack, I sometimes suspect that
more than half of the time when it is being used it is probably as a
result of a micro-benchmark finding, and in the long term may actually
be causing more harm than good.]

-scott