> I wonder whether it would be possible to extend the VFS in a way that would
> make our use case possible (transferring a file handle over process
> boundary). Please note that we do it on all platforms. On POSIX we pass an
> integer file descriptor, and on Windows we pass a HANDLE.

I used vfs for encryption, but there were not so many changed so I may be
wrong, but ...

It seems that a filename is known entity for vfs implementation, but for
sqlite level is an abstraction (except for adding sub-extensions for special
files). So you could fully replace vfs with yours and invent your own
semantic and recognize it when file open request goes to you, for example
for opening main db file ("filehandle:1234"). In this case you probably will
get a request for journal like "filehandle:1234.db-journal" and this would
mean that you should create some place you prefer a temporal file. I know it
looks a little stange, but can someone confirm this approach at least works?

Max