* Oliver Schneider:

> just a few minutes ago I ran a VACUUM on a DB file and the size before
> was 2089610240 and afterwards 2135066624. Is this normal?

This is just typical behavior with B-trees because the fill factor
almost always changes when they are rebuilt.  It seems that SQLite
doesn't try to maximize the fill factor during index creation, so this
behavior is expected for many database files.

Choosing the best fill factor is often difficult.  If additional keys
are inserted into an index with a near-100% fill-factor, many page
splits are required.  But for indices on archive tables, a way to
create the most compact representation could be desirable.  Some
systems (such as PostgreSQL) make the fill factor a per-index
configuration parameter, and they also construct the B-tree from a
sorted representation, which makes it possible to obtain compact
indices if the user requests this (it's also faster than doing
repeated B-tree inserts).