Don't know the reason, I didn't write that code, I just had to study it while
working on FTS3 integration into Perl's DBD::SQLite.

I didn't try nor didn't check in detail, but if your tokenizer treats
"play-off" as a single word, then probably the query analyzer will receive one
single token and will not interpret the hyphen as NOT.

Laurent Dami