Drake Wilson wrote:

> Quoth Frank Millman <fr...@chagford.com>, on 2010-10-20
> 11:47:06 +0200:
> > Ok, thanks.
> >
> > Is there any chance of it being considered for a future release?
>
> Search http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=SqliteWikiFaq for "foreign
> key".

Thanks, Drake. I found the following quote, which I assume is what you were
referring to -

"The same goes for foreign key constraints. There are severe implementation
difficulties trying to get this to work across separate database. If you
have a foreign key in a separate database, that really argues that the two
databases ought to be one."

I can understand that.

For the record, I will explain what I am doing, in case someone can suggest
an alternative approach. If not, I can live with it.

I am writing a generalised business/accounting application, which is
multi-company. I have got it working using MS SQL Server and PostgreSQL as
databases, and now I want to add sqlite3 as a third option, for small
single-user systems and for demo purposes. In the first two DBMS's, I use
the concept of a 'schema' to represent the different companies. They are all
in the same database, but I can refer to individual tables using
'schema.tablename' notation.

sqlite3 does not seem to have the equivalent of a schema in the same sense
as the other two, but I have got close by using the concept of separate
databases. So far this is the first time I have bumped my head. If this is
the only restriction, I can live with it.

The link above refers to a similar restriction with 'triggers', but at this
stage I am only making limited use of triggers, and not cross-company, so
hopefully that will not become a problem.

If I find more problems, I may have to reconsider my options. I hope not, as
I am really enjoying working with sqlite3.

Frank