>        Select * from a table took just slightly under three hours.
>        Select * from a reconstructed table (insert into select from) in a new
> database took 57 seconds.

I think it's not related to fragmentation, but to fill percentage of
b-tree pages. I guess your reconstructed table is much less in total
size than your initial one. Also does changing cache_size changes
above numbers? What size do these tables have? What bottleneck appears
to be in 3-hour query execution? Is it disk thrashing?

Pavel