On 8 Nov 2010, at 2:02am, cricketfan wrote:

> Simon, As per my understanding I am getting the result set and trying to
> change values in the table based on what I read from the result set up to
> that point. I see no reason why I should be stopped from updating the row I
> have already read in the result set.

Your update might change whether the row is in the result set.  Or it might
change /where/ the row falls in the result set.  For instance, suppose you have
the following rows:

You read as far as B, then decide to change the B to an E.  Now what should
happen ?  Should that record appear again when you get past the D ?  But it
might be a problem to include the same record twice.  How should SQL know what
it should do ?  So SQL prevents you from making changes which effect an open
SELECT.

Simon.