when I create a db on a file system, I guess a query process has to go
through 2 levels of seeks ?
first sqlite finds the B-tree node that stores the index to the file
offset of my desired record, then sqlite uses that offset to make
syscall seek(offset),
then Kernel consults the FS implementation to find from its  OWN
B-tree (for example in ext3 fs )  the block location of that offset.

innodb allows creating a db on a raw disk partition, can we do the
same on  sqlite?

I tried directly creating a db on ramdisk, failed:

javasqlite-20100727# sqlite3 /dev/ram0
SQLite version 3.7.3
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
sqlite> create table blah ( x int );
Error: disk I/O error

note that I was able to create an e2fs on the same ramdisk

Thanks
Yang