Lynton Grice wrote:

> Many thanks for your feedback, much appreciated ;-)
>
> But why would that happen on Solaris and not Debian?

Did you try it on real OSs & not VMs?  Are you sure the host OS is
giving the same compute & disk slices to the VMs?  Any other differences
in those mappings?

Are the VMs running on the same host box?  If not, are they running on
the same hardware and host OS?

Along the lines of Roger's comment, some VM implementations have
OS clocks that simply don't work right -- they run too fast or too slow
(I have personally observed differences of up to 3x), because they
assume they are on real hardware.  Have you tested that?

Did you try compiling it with profiling data turned on to see where the
bottlenecks are (using gcc's -pg flag plus gprof(1))?

Or, as a simpler test, you could run your app from strace(1) (assuming
solaris has such a thing) to see if you are spending loads of time in
system calls as Roger hypothesized.

> Also, how would I pass the -D flags? Do I do that when I compile SQLite?

Yes -- those are arguments to GCC that are similar to writing a #define
compiler directive into your code.  So saying

gcc -DFOO=bar ...

would be like writing

#define FOO bar

into the code.

The sqlite.org docs describe what they do pretty well iirc.

Eric

--
Eric A. Smith

You can observe a lot by watching.