On 22 Dec 2010, at 12:45am, Jeff Archer wrote:

> A SQLite Server would be userful.  I have considered creating this myself.  I
> have thought that it would need to be kept zero config and it should be
> provided
> in amalgamation form to keep simple to embed in applications.  Wouldn't need
> incredible throughput as it is a ServerLite.  Would very conveniently avoid
> the
> issues of sharing database file across network.

You do mention something worthwhile: if you had a server/client version of
SQLite you could get rid of all the code to do with file sharing and locking.
That's quite a lot of code, if you include all the PRAGMAs and related
programming that could be ignored.

You will need some way to keep multiple connections straight -- each one has
its own transaction and rollback status.  But you have the advantage that one
process knows everything that needs to be known: it can all be handled by one
process, that process knows everything it has to know, and it can keep
everything it needs in memory.

Simon.