Quoth Johns Daniel <johns.dan...@gmail.com>, on 2011-02-25 16:21:54 -0600:
> Thank you very much for this info, Dan! Very useful.
>
> >From your description, it sounds like this requirement only applies if
> there are 3 or more databases. Is this an issue with 2 databases?

Yes, master journals are needed whenever more than one database is
used.  However:

> We have 2 databases. We open one and attach the other one to it at the
> very beginning of our single (multi-threaded) database process.

If you allocate a master journal name for only that process, and there
is only one instance starting up at a time (ensured externally), and
it always attaches both databases with the same names and in the same
order before doing anything else, it seems like it should be okay; if
there is a hot master journal, then it will be destroyed at startup
time when both databases have their respective journals recovered.

However, I'm not sure how the threading affects this if you have
multiple connections.  It seems like it should still be okay if
they're all using the exact same two databases, since there should not
be a case where they both want to collide on the master journal where
they would not also be colliding on at least one database, but I'm not
confident about that.

I would try it and see what happens, but also be rather cautious about
the design in such cases; it's hard to judge more accurately without
knowing more about the application.

> -- Johns

   ---> Drake Wilson