How are you trying to view the ouitput.result.txt (and I"ll note that it'sNOT a
text file...it's an image according to what you said.).  What's the size of the
file.

And you should be able to post a COMPLETE example to show your testing.  What
you say you want to do has been done by many before so you're doing something
wrong but you aren't showing it.

Create a small test file using this:

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  FILE *fp=fopen("test.dat","w");
  char buf[10];
  int i;
  for(i=0;i<10;++i) buf[i]=i+'A';
  buf[2] = 0;
  fwrite(buf,1,sizeof(buf),fp);
  fclose(fp);
}

If you're on Unix (or have Unix utils installed on Windows) you should see this:
ls -l test.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 mblack users 10 Apr  3 07:41 test.dat
od -xa test.dat
0000000 4241 4400 4645 4847 4a49
          A   B nul   D   E   F   G   H   I   J
0000012
more test.dat
AB

Note the "more" stop at the first NUL character like it should.

Then...use this file to test your stream, show us the resulting file with "od
-xa" and show us your code.

Michael D. Black
Senior Scientist
NG Information Systems