Thanks.

I have found that the select statement was issued inside a transaction.
Could this cause sqlite to make changes to the database? I also observed
that if I mark the database as readonly and issue a select statement inside
a transaction (what the application was doing) I get "attempt to write a
readonly database" error so it looks like sqlite is trying to have write
access to the database even thought it is not needed.

Could this have caused database corruption?