On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Stephan Beal <sgb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM, Nico Williams <n...@cryptonector.com>wrote:
>> How does one remove changesets?  How does one collapse deltas?
>
> Fossil doesn't allow one to remove changesets (and i'm not sure what
> collapsing deltas means, unless it means to compound multiple changes into
> one delta, in which case fossil can't do that). Once its in a fossil db, its
> "fossilized" - there forever. Fossil offers a "shun" feature to "disable"
> unwanted artifacts, but has (by design) no way to remove them.

Back when I worked for Sun Microsystems (then acquired by Oracle) we
used to collapse deltas _prior_ to pushing them from personal
repositories to project or product repositories.  The reason for this
is that one might commit N deltas during development that are of no
interest to anyone else.  Obviously no deltas were deleted or
collapsed in the trunk.  I think that's a very good policy.  We did
that with Teamware, Mercurial, and git (and probably other VCSs, but
those are the three I used most at Sun).

> Regarding the autosync feature Richard mentioned: if you work on more than
> one machine on the same repo then i highly recommend leaving autosync on (at
> least most of the time). If it is turned off and you forget to manually
> push/pull from one of your machines, it can easily lead to an unintentional
> fork (been there, done that many times).

I agree that it seems useful, but since I was cloning the SQLite3 tree
and since I don't have committer access, it seemed odd that Fossil
would attempt to push my commits.

Thanks,

Nico