Answering myself...

It may be feasible to [with little code] catch schema changes that
would invalidate DB triggers before committing them.  I'm not yet sure
how to do that without re-entrance, but that may be OK too (hey,
OP_ParseSchema does it).  At least I've an idea that might be worth
pursing.

Also, in general, I find it an odd feature that SQLite3 does not warn
about schema changes that leave triggers broken.  It is a very useful
feature to not have to drop triggers just because one drops and
re-creates some table that the trigger bodies refer to, but it is also
very surprising!

For now I'm settling for the pragma, since I needed one anyways.