I thought of another way to do your copy/cut/paste...

Assuming you keep the original audio around and use the levels I showed before.

create table sequence(level int,parent int,start int,end end);

insert into seqeunce values(1,0,0,-1); // note that -1 means "until end of
data".

See where I'm going?  You keep a sequence table that is much like your btree.
It's just a collection of clips that when strung together can make your audio
clip.  By default you have one sequence per level.

Cut 1000-1999 from level=1

select * from sequence where level=1;

delete from sequence where level=1;

insert into sequence values(1,0,0,999);

insert into sequence values(2,1,2000,-1);

Insert some data:

1st you find where it fits

select * from sequence where level=1;

bytes1=0;

while moredata

  bytes2+=end-start;

  if (insertpoint >=bytes1 and insertpoint <=bytes2)

  update sequence set id=id+1,parent=parent+1 where id>=currentid;

  break;

end

Cuts are just splitting one record in 2, or adjusting 2 records and deleting
records in between.

I'll leave that as an exercise for you.

This would

Michael D. Black