Roberto Colnaghi <colna...@msn.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your detailed reply.
> Though I cannot use DLLs since it is an iPhone iOS (MacOSX) operational
> system.I was hoping for a collation callback that is
> called for all characters, not only the first.

It is. What do you think str1Length and str2Length parameters are for?

> For my subset of data, it fits just perfect. All comparing fields are UTF8
> VARCHAR.
> Shouldn't sqlite3_create_collation be called for every single character?

You seem to believe that your callback will be called to compare individual
characters. I can't imagine whatever gave you this idea. Your callback is
called to compare two *strings* (of arbitrary length) and report whether,
according to your collation, one string should be sorted before, together with,
or after the other.

> Let's say the comparing names are "São Paulo" and
> "Santos". ->  SELECT * FROM Game WHERE TeamHome = 'SANTOS' COLLATE anyCIAI;
>
> The LOG function shows a comparison between S and other first char only only:

That's because *you* only log the first character. You are given the whole
string - you just *choose* not to look at it beyond the first character.

> I was expecting it to go further

What is "it" in this sentence? Whom, other than yourself, were you expecting to
go further?
--
Igor Tandetnik