On Sep 17, 2011, at 10:53 PM, Kevin Benson wrote:

>> Your point is taken and most likely the documentation intended merely
> to identify the result in terms of Julian days:
> i.e.
> The julianday() function returns <emphasis>the number of Julian
> days</emphasis> since noon in Greenwich on November 24, 4714 B.C. (Proleptic
> Gregorian calendar<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proleptic_Gregorian_calendar>

All in all, I think the documentation is a bit misleading. It should read
something along these lines instead:

"The julianday() function returns the Julian date, the interval of time in days
and fractions of a day since January 1, 4713 BC Greenwich noon, Julian
proleptic calendar."

Furthermore, all references to Julian Day Number should be removed and/or
replace by Julian Date.

P.S.

As far as I know, the Julian date starts on January 1, 4713 BC Greenwich noon,
not November 24, 4714 B.C.

The Julian date for BCE  4713 January  1 12:00:00.0 UT is
JD      0.000000