I have a very simple table: it just contains one single (text) column with
an index. This table contains million of hash-values, and because of the
index, SQLite is storing all the data twice. Behind the scenes it creates a
second table, containing all the same values in sorted order, causing the
database size to double.

Because all the data I need is also in this second index-table, is there
some kind of way to get rid of my original table, and still be able to
insert new items? My initial thought was to change the schema of my table so
that it only has a TEXT PRIMARY KEY and no other columns, but SQLite
internally still creates an INTEGER rowid, so the end-result made no
difference.

So is there some way to have a 'stand-alone index', which doesn't store
everything twice?