On 23 Oct 2011, at 4:05am, Bo Peng wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the IO load is only 3% when two sqlite3
> processes are running, so perhaps I can still tweak sqlite3 to run
> faster. I will also copy the database around and see if other disks
> (SSD?), operating system (linux?), and file systems can provide better
> performance.

Tweaking SQLite probably won't help.  The speed of your task is limited by the
speed of your hard disk.  You could have 1 process or 10, but they all have to
get at the database through the hard disk, as Igor wrote.  Adding more
processes just means more processes queued up to wait until the hard disk
decides to fetch the bit of the database they want next.

You could speed this task up by splitting your database into two and putting
each part on a different hard disk, then using two processes to fetch the
information.  Or you could use triggers to keep the figure you're trying to
find constantly updated in another table.  Or you could use a faster caching
database management system.  Or you could just live with it as it is now.

Simon.