On 06 Feb 2012 at 19:31, Ryan Johnson <ryan.john...@cs.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> On 06/02/2012 1:59 PM, Bill McCormick wrote:

>> The order is not important. What is important is that I come up with
>> some way to manage version updates. I've tried doing something similar
>> in the past using an "alter tables" script (using a different DB). The
>> script assumed some base version of schema was present, and then
>> proceeded adding new schema if it didn't already exist. It probably
>> seemed like a good idea at the time (to whomever started it), but as
>> time went on this script grew more and more unmanageable and I dreaded
>> having to use it.

> You might exploit #pragma user_version to help you track future changes,
> though that wouldn't necessarily help with the existing mess.

Can that be relied upon, though? The doc explicitly states: "Specific pragma
statements may be removed and others added in future releases of SQLite. There
is no guarantee of backwards compatibility".

I keep my own version number in a master table and use that to indicate that a
table needs updating.

--
Cheers  --  Tim