Here's again the schema:

CREATE TABLE instance  (
          path TEXT,
          basename TEXT,
          size INT,
          md5sum TEXT,
          creation_date TEXT,
          last_write_time TEXT,
          FOREIGN KEY (md5sum) REFERENCES resource (md5sum)
          );

CREATE TABLE resource (
          md5sum TEXT,
          data BLOB,
          primary key(md5sum)
        );
INSERT OR IGNORE INTO resource ...
INSERT OR REPLACE INTO instance ...
Thanks a lot. What is the idea behind the INSERT OR REPLACE in your
solution?
Christoph
If you edit a test for some version of your software, md5sum is
changed too. You must replace row in `instance`.
It just happened that I ran over the directory tree a second and a third time.

Wouldn't the second and the third run result in being the records just replaced (since they have the
same data in all columns and I don't have any uniqueness defined).

But instead I have three identical entries from each run.

--
Christoph