Hi Nico,

thanks for the reply.

 You can't rely on two SQLite3 DBs with the same contents being
 equal files.  The sequences of INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements
 that created the two files with the same contents can differ
 and thus result in different b-tree layouts.

It's not important that the 2 db files are exactly the same all the time that
people are editing them, but only when they 'finalise' a 'package'.
So what if some code in the 'packaging' process performed a sequence of queries
that read all the data from the db, table by table, and inserted it into a new
db.
Would that same code process, running on the same data but on 2 different
machines, produce the exact same file byte for byte?
Would hardware / OS / anything else affect the final sequence of bytes in the
file?

I don't mind the extra coding, and reluctantly can put up with the extra time
taken to package at the end if need be.
But I really need the final files to be the same so that anyone can confirm the
content by hashing the file itself even if they don't have the program that
reads it.
Also, given a list of the contents, anyone could recreate the same exact file
using the program but can still prove the content just by using an independent
hash checker.

I was more concerned about timestamps etc. factors that may never be the same /
cannot control.
But you feel that if the exact data was entered in the exact same sequence that
the result would always be the same?

Thanks again so much for your thoughts and help.

David.