On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 04:30:23PM +0200, folkert scratched on the wall:

> I'm asking as I was looking at some application using SQLite which
> executes an explicit sync() after each query it executes. I'm not a
> database expert but I always thought that the whole idea behind
> databases were that you could rely on, well, the whole ACID idea. And
> I'm very happy to see that SQLite does so!

  Wow, how... not very useful.  sync(2) doesn't actually block until
  the pages are written to disk, it only schedules them to be written
  "real soon now."  The use of sync will also flush the whole
  system-wide file cache, possibly doing considerably more I/O than is
  intended or needed.  Or not needed, in this case.

   -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson