Am 03.05.2012 19:59, schrieb peter korinis:
I have R but really haven't used it much. I know it's a great stats package
and great for data reduction ... but I want to perform queries against my
44GB of data, filtering records by a variety of attributes, comparing those
subsets in a variety of ad hoc ways, perhaps summing/counting other fields,
etc.

I prefer

http://www.yunqa.de/delphi/doku.php/products/sqlitespy/index

for creating the database (tables, views) and doing the queries cause it's fast and reliable but I prefer to write(!) SQL code and not to create it through a generator (as it is done in Access).

sqlitespy can't do the import job; I always do this with the CLI by creating INSERT statements with my scripting language in a separate file

since sqlite 3.7.11 you don't need a statement like

INSERT INTO table(col01,col02,col03) VALUES(1,2,3);
INSERT INTO table(col01,col02,col03) VALUES(4,5,6);

you can make it shorter:

INSERT INTO table(col01,col02,col03) VALUES(1,2,3),(4,5,6);

this is a great advantage if you need to do many INSERTs cause your file won't become so large

This is the kind of job excel is good at ... but the data is too bit!
Seems like a database plus a good query GUI or some BI app would work. is R
a good query tool?

afaik there is no other way than to write (!) SQL Code - depending on the problem this can be done in an R script or directly in the database (i.e. as a VIEW) or as a combination

[...]

Oliver